Well, here we are again. Another year done, another awkward few weeks of crossed out "2013...I mean 2014?" on everything.
This year was a challenge that I am grateful for. It was a roller coaster. But if 2013 was a roller coaster, 2014 will probably be a freight train. There is a lot on its way.
For now, I will pause and reflect on the 22nd year of my life, and all it brought with it. Last year's review was a crazy, hefty, monster of a post, and this one will probably be similar, so feel free to get a snack beforehand.
Ready? Let's begin.
January:
Holy monster flu. Yikes. I spent New Year's Eve in the hospital instead of at the party I intended to celebrate wildly at. Started my final semester of college. Had cupcakes (from a Cupcake Wars award winner...) in St. Louis. Got really stressed and depressed. Longed for spring.
Just seeing these again makes my mouth water.
February:
I turned 22! Had a fun weekend visiting family. Had all kinds of introspection. (I seem to do that less now for some reason? Have I lost my angsty edge?) Visited Chicago with the newspaper staff and won awards! Hoped desperately for the winter to die.
March:
Played in the snow. Prepared for Ireland. Spent a freezing cold, dramatic but still incredible week overseas. Talked about scary Easter Bunnies.
April:
Got a big kid job. Went hiking. Attended a wedding for a friend. Worked on my LAST edition as editor of the newspaper.
May:
May was craaazy. I finished my last college assignments. Soaked up what was left of senior year. Celebrated two years with Tom. Graduated. Finished my novel. Moved in with Tom. And started my new job!
June:
Ah, June. June is where my year really took a weird turn.
Stressed out at my new job. Left that job (after only two weeks...) Broke down many, many times. Started up at my old internship again. Visited my family (and the zoo!) in St. Louis. Enjoyed the summer weather while secretly wishing for fall. Visited the farmer's market. Drank a boatload of cinnamon tea.
July:
A very laid-back month. The weather got HOT and dry. We celebrated Fourth of July, slept in a fort for three weeks, watched the pumpkins grow and attended a dinner cruise work event for Tom.
August:
We watched a ton of Castle. I blogged three times. Went on a family vacation to New Orleans and Gulf Shores. Contemplated infinite career options. Other than that, and really hot weather? August was a total blur.
September:
This month was basically pumpkin mania.
We went home for Labor Day, got in the Halloween spirit, attended the local pumpkin festival THREE times in one weekend, picked our own pumpkin harvest and visited my dad, stepmom and stepbrothers in St. Louis! (That it also the weekend Tom asked my dad for permission to marry me..) :)
Ha...Magic the Gathering time!
October:
Yay, October! My favorite month of the year did not disappoint.
We got engaged!! I decorated like crazy. We carved pumpkins, visited my family in Aledo, IL, and hosted a spooky bonfire party. We went all out for Halloween!
November:
We kicked off November with a Halloween party in the woods (also known as the recipe for every serial killer movie ever). Thomas and I were Jimi Hendrix and Foxy Lady. My community was hit by a devastating tornado, and the relief efforts are still inching forward. I proposed back to Tom, we spent Thanksgiving with my family in Chicago, and we put up our first Christmas tree!
December:
It snowed a lot here, putting me in the Christmas spirit. I revealed some big news that my book was accepted by a publishing house and I am going to be a published author! I went to Aledo with Katie to celebrate her birthday, and went home for Christmas with my family, where I also saw my best friend choose her wedding dress!
So there it is, my journey through 2013. Now we are preparing for our Fancy Pajama New Year's party and looking forward to the fun insanity that will be 2014!
Happy New Year, everyone! (Almost.)

























Oh my gosh! What an exciting year!!! Congrats on the engagement and HOLY COW your novel is getting published?! I want to read it! That's amazing!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! It's been NUTS, but so fun! :)
Delete