Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Snow Ice Cream

I have very fond memories of snow ice cream.

I remember the day perfectly:

I woke up to my mom telling me school was cancelled because of snow. (Magic words for any kid. And college student. Case in point: I actually cheered today when one of my classes was called off. Still magical!)

The outside world looked a little like this:



I ate some oatmeal, got into my snow suit, and knocked on all my friends' doors. We spent the entire morning and part of the afternoon building snowmen, pelting each other with ice balls (safe, right?) and sledding.

After our cheeks were flaming red and our toes lost feeling, we finally trekked back inside and peeled off our snow gear, which was soaked.
From the snow.

Except that one time I peed in my snowsuit, but I mean, I always strive for efficiency.

So after all that was all taken care of, my mom would make us a refreshing, heaping bowl of snow ice cream.

And it was the perfect precursor to hot cocoa, let me tell ya.

So in the spirit of the winter storm howling outside, here is my mom's recipe for snow ice cream!


~Snow Ice Cream~

1 gallon snow
1 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups milk

Collect *fresh* fallen snow in a large bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla, and slowly add the milk. Use a little less or more milk for desired consistency.



Delicious! Way better than just grabbing handfulls of it.

Anyone else ever made this? 

Enjoy!

<3

1 comment: