Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On simplicity.

As a college freshman, I came in wanting it all.

I wanted to graduate and have thousands of dollars of saved up, a glamorous job in NYC and an incredible wardrobe.

Well, I am graduating in a few months. I have none of those things (well my wardrobe does have its glam days...) 

And I'm pretty happy about it. Not that I would turn down a few thousand dollars, but oh well.

In fact, I have been on a simplifying kick. As I get ready to leave college and move in with my boyfriend and his family, I am trying to keep only the necessities.

Cut down the excess in what I eat, what I own, what I buy, and even what activities I commit to.

It started just last week, actually. I divided up my paycheck to ensure I would have for everything and moved some extra to my savings. I nixed the idea of buying new things for my Ireland trip (in less than one month!)

Well, except a raincoat. I don't own one and I'm pretty certain I'm gonna need it.

I am also planning on selling anything and everything in good condition that I just don't need anymore. Why hang onto those extra things you might need once? I have my clothing favorites in my closet, the books I actually want to keep and the shoes I rotate throughout the week. Beyond that, the rest is sort of just cluttering my life.

I found this video on Ted Talks, and I thought he made some pretty great points. It does feel refreshing to visit a pristine, organized hotel room for a few days. 
Well, pristine at first.
After about a day it looks like my suitcase blew up.
I digress.


So in the spirit of spring cleaning, my goal is to streamline, simplify and focus on the good stuff.

Which, amazingly, isn't stuff at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...