Monday, February 18, 2013

My thoughts on...quarter life crises

First of all, there is some kind of horrifying bird RIGHT outside my window.
The kind that you usually hear off in the distance in the woods somewhere.
But this one is right up on my window going "ooooooh....WOOoooh" over and over again, and it's a little weird.

For today's "My thoughts Monday," I have had a lot on my mind.

Yes, that is "relax" backwards. What you can't see is that I am wearing very colorful fleece monkey pants in this photo.

And by a lot, I mean pretty much everything else besides what I should be thinking about.

AKA, I am terribly, hopelessly distracted.
BOOM, second semester hits and I am immediately hit with senior-itis. Hard.

Not like that's anything new. I remember daydreaming my way through first grade (and pretty much all the other grades...)

I would balance pencils on my fingers and draw flowers everywhere just to get through the day.

But these days, I am distracted by so.much.more.

I realize that I may be a few years shy of a true "quarter life crisis," but I totally believe you can have one of those at 22.

Not that it's a bad crisis.

I am very, very lucky to have found incredible people to surround myself with and an exceptionally supportive family. I even have a relationship that grounds me and fulfills me like nothing I've ever experienced before, and sometimes I am horrified to think of what I might have turned into had I not stumbled upon love.

It wouldn't be pretty.
I have a feeling it would involve a lot of cynical speeches, wine coolers and working on the weekends.

However, I still have these days where I feel pelted with thoughts of "Who am I? Where do I go from here? Why do I feel vaguely like I am supposed to do something meaningful with my life, but then kill a few hours watching New Girl? Why is everyone and their neighbor suddenly married and/or having children? I am still trying to keep a freaking plant alive!"

I find it quite challenging and overwhelming to live in the moment right now because there are so many exciting things to look forward to.

But at the same time, I believe I will look back at this stage of my life and miss so much of it.

I will miss my apartment and my roommates, pulling all-nighters with my friends to "study," working with the newspaper staff...

Sometimes it's a challenge to just slow down and appreciate everything that's going on right now.
But this is life.
The here and now.

And can I tell you about right now?

Right now I am drinking my kiwi lime tea out of my new mug, waiting for my boyfriend to come visit me, and watching Jenna Marbles. This, like those Disney commercials say, is me at 22.
For a limited time only.

And you know what? It's a good moment. And I am going to share it with you in the form of the video I just watched. Because it made me laugh, and you should be laughing too.


You're welcome.

<3


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in the moment is so difficult at times! I often look forward to future events to get through those rough spots in life, but then I always fly by the most precious moments. It happens! So don't worry, you're definitely not alone :) & I love the video. "Sloths are tree pedophiles" - Haha. Thanks for sharing!
    P.S: where did you get your mug from? I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete