I went home this weekend to see some family and attend my brother's graduation party (and eat. And then eat more. I'm that person who stands by the food table for the duration of the party.)
I missed everyone, so I was really excited to get home. I love my family for many reasons. But I think my favorite is the vast differences among them all, and the craziness that ensues when they all get together.
My parents are divorced, but the families are still amicable (my mom does my dad's side of the family's hair, for example.) Even more than amicable, really. So we still get to see everyone at the same party, which is nice. The issue with going away to school, and then staying out here for the summer, is my little cousins seem to grow exponentially when I'm away.
But anyway, there was plenty of food. Two cakes. And lots of people that I've really missed.

 |
He likes to brag that he got the looks in the family, but that's obviously false with a face like mine.
But now we are halfway into the work week, and there have been some unpleasant surprises. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little brainstorming and ice cream, but stressful nonetheless.
And today, I will be doing something that I am absolutely terrified to to. Like, if I think about it I want to hide in my room and never come out.
Disclaimer: I am a HUGE chicken. About everything.
But today, for a story I'm working on, I have to collect sound of jumping carp out on the river. Sounds harmless, right? No. These fish are massive, they jump ten feet in the air, there are thousands of them, and the last story I heard was about some girl whose jaw was dislocated from one of these monsters. The real kicker is that the story was my idea, and I knew going into it that I'd have to do this. But this was before I heard that these things jump in the boat with you! IT MIGHT SLIME ME.
And also, if there are bees or spiders in the boat that are just hanging out, enjoying the summer day, I might jump in the river with the carp. I can't decide which freaks me out more.
All in a day's work. At the very least, I can never say I'm bored. Maybe I have a stray helmet lying around somewhere. Wish me luck!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment