Sunday, September 15, 2013

Gratitude

I started reading a book called The Magic, by the same author who wrote The Secret.

The Secret  is all about the law of attraction, but this book is centered on gratitude, and being thankful for what you've got.


I wasn't sure about the author. I am usually skeptical about self-help types, but I still find them interesting and occasionally, empowering. Sometimes I'm on board at first, but then I google "**Author Name*** scam" and there goes my faith in it all.

But I like this book in particular because there's not really a trick or a gimmick. Granted, there are lots of outlandish promises made, but the core of it is simple: take time to be grateful.

Now, in the five days I have been following this 28-day plan, I haven't won the lottery and my life hasn't changed dramatically. Nor did I expect it to, (or even want it to), though the author swears gratitude will change your life around. I don't deny it.

As for what has happened so far? For the ten minutes I spend every morning writing down ten things I'm grateful for, my anxiety dips way lower than usual. I feel...lighter. I feel a little healthier and more energetic. And when I'm thinking about what I do have, I stop focusing so much on what I have yet to gain. 

I wanted to pass on a couple easy tricks inspired by the book, because they really are helpful. And weirdly relaxing.

This week, try to do these two things every day:

1. In the morning, list out ten things you're thankful for. They can be the big things like family to the small things like pumpkin muffins. Whatever it may be, list it.

2. Before going to bed, reflect on all the things throughout the day you were grateful for. It's a good way to get your mind off of the endless to-do list thinking that seems to happen before bed.

That's all there is to it! Try it out. It certainly can't hurt.

I will leave you with this photo displaying our matching outfits at the pumpkin festival this weekend:


Yes, we are the coolest.

Happy Sunday!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...