Thursday, November 17, 2011

Raspberry Poke Cake

I know, I know. Tis' the season for pumpkin pie and green bean casserole. But this recipe is just plain fabulous. I have made it several times for springtime get-togethers, but I think the red Jell-o makes it festive, no? This recipe comes from Betty Crocker, so they deserve the credit!

Here's what you need:
White cake mix (I'm not at the from-scratch level quite yet.)
Water, vegetable oil and egg whites, as called for on package
1 box (4 serving size) raspberry Jell-o mix (or any flavor you want)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 8-oz. container Cool Whip, thawed
Fresh raspberries, if desired. Or, since it's not raspberry season, thawed frozen raspberries work well, too.

What to do:
-Heat oven to 350 degrees
-Make and bake the cake in a 13x9 inch pan as directed on the box. Cool completely for an hour.
-Pierce cooled cake every half-inch or so with a fork. In a bowl, stir Jell-o with boiling water until smooth. Add cold water. Pour over cake. Run life around side of pan to loosen; cool for two hours. Frost with cool whip, add raspberries to garnish. Store refrigerated.

As you can see, this recipe needs plenty of cooling, so plan accordingly. But it's delicious, refreshing and makes a great cake for the holiday season. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...