Saturday, March 17, 2012

A jolt of adrenaline, and we're live.

I have this thing.
This problem.

You know those things most people don't want to do, they back away from? They say no to? Not dangerous things. But like, extra work people ask for help with. I can't say no to those things.

I am scared to do pretty much everything, but if somebody says, "Hey, I need a volunteer for this stressful thing..." I automatically offer myself up. I figure it'll be a good experience in the long run.

Case in point? The 17th District of Illinois Congressional Debate. I volunteered to be the student journalist on the board. Which meant I had to be on TV, asking congressional hopefuls questions I knew pretty much nothing about. Oh, and if I screwed up, everyone would be tuned in to see it.


BUT, I didn't screw up. Thank heavens. It was a remarkably exhausting hour and a half, but I did it. And I'm kind of proud of that.

Proof:
(If you're really interested, I show up at 18:50, 20:00, 29:47, 54:16, 1:05:21 and 1:17:46 and 1:27:05)

Watch here

Mind you, it was 80 degrees that day. My hair was poofing, I hadn't eaten much at all, and I had been a bundle of nerves all week. I do this to myself.

But on the way to that interview, I nearly died.
Ok so the station is literally a five-minute walk from my apartment. It's based on our campus. But the following happened to me on that short trip over:

-A spider crawled out of my portfolio. I threw it on the ground, screaming. Also, this was right in front of the police station. No one came out to save me.

-I wiped out in my heels in the parking lot. Swore a little. Pretended no one saw.

-A giant bug flew at me. It was just a ladybug, but it seemed much more giant in my peripherals.

-This truck drove by, and this strange man yelled, "You rock your shit, girl!" Excuse the language. But for whatever reason, that gave me an added boost. Thank you, strange man.

But anyway, I'm sure that will make for a very colorful summer. A successful, busy spring break indeed. Have a lovely weekend!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you're hilarious! You had me laughing out loud! So glad I found your blog to give me a smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha anytime! Thanks for following:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...